Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Magical Vancouver

Canada is truly a gem of a location. I've been to all of the "major" cities (I think) except for Montreal (on my short side of my really long bucket list). The people, the food, the weather and the sights in Vancouver did not disappoint.
I headed to the Pacific northwest in July ahead of our customer trip to Alaska. 

 Our hotel, the Pan Pacific, was located right on the cruise ship port. Guests could just leave their bags in the room on embarkation day and not have to deal with them until they showed up in their stateroom later.
 But first, a few great days in Vancouver as guests began to arrive.  They celebrated their 150th birthday this summer. Alas, they didn't offer me any cake.
 One of my vendor reps, who's been to Vancouver many times, asked if I wanted to climb Grouse Mountain. There is a gondola option. We opted for the stairs. So. Many. Stairs.
I would consider myself in relatively good shape. Not ready to run a marathon, but certainly capable of a nearly two mile hike.
But it's almost all uphill. The Grouse Grind is a grind indeed.
 Halfway.

 But, the views were spectacular. So that was a great reward for making it up.
 Ironically, the Grind allows for one way travel (up) only. The gondola whisked us down in no time.
 Lunch was a welcome sight.
 The next day, Dave finally arrived....
 We hosted a customer dinner the night before we boarded the ship at Rogue. Seafood galore.


 Late night (there may have been a few drinks involved) we ordered poutine. It was....interesting.
 Embarkation morning we left our bags behind and headed over to Fly Over Canada, a must do 4D experience ride.
 Gelato for lunch? OK.
And finally, on board the ship. Ready to set sail.
The Alaska chapter I will save for the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment